1967 BA graduate in Mathematics
“Acquisition of knowledge serves as a higher guiding light; and with an intelligent and inquiring mind, one can be a person of wisdom and virtue.”
- Ray Lyman Wilbur Professor of Statistics of Stanford University
- Professor, by courtesy, of Biomedical Data Science in the School of Medicine and of the Institute for Computational and Mathematical Engineering in the School of Engineering, Stanford University
- Director of Financial and Risk Modelling Institute, Stanford University
- Co-Director of Centre for Innovative Study Design
- Core member of Stanford Comprehensive Cancer Institute
- Core member of Centre for Precision Mental Health and Wellness, Stanford University
- Core member of Stanford Centre for Population Health Sciences
- Core member of Wu Tsai Neurosciences Institute, Stanford University
- Advisory Committee member of Stanford in Hong Kong
- Faculty Fellow of Stanford Centre for Innovations in Global Health
Professor Tze-Leung LAI is the Honorary Dean of the Centre for Financial Technology and Risk Analytics at Fudan University, and Visiting Chair Professor at Southwestern University of Finance and Economics in Chengdu. He is also an advisory committee member of the Yau Centre for Mathematical Sciences at Tsinghua University, Centre for Statistical Science at Peking University, Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science at The University of Hong Kong, and Institute of Statistical Science of Academia Sinica in Taipei.
Professor LAI received the Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies Award in 1983 and has been an academician of Academia Sinica since 1994. He is an elected Fellow of the American Statistical Association and of the Institute of Mathematical Statistics, and is an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. In 2005, he was named the inaugural recipient of the Abraham Wald Prize in Sequential Analysis. He has published over 300 papers and 12 books, and has supervised 74 PhD theses at Columbia, Stanford, Stony Brook, and University of Padova in Italy.