YSS provides outstanding undergraduate students with ample authentic research experiences during their studies in the 6901 BSc degree curriculum. YSS students are guaranteed with:
- Enrolment in our flagship Summer Research Fellowship (SRF) Scheme to conduct research under the supervision of our professors in the first summer
- A further SRF or an Overseas Research Fellowship (ORF) in a foreign institution in subsequent years
- International exchange, visiting or summer study
- Attendance in international scientific conference on frontier research
- Guidance from a research mentor individually from the start of the undergraduate study
- Enrolment in our Frontiers of Science Honours Seminar to learn how our award-winning professors solve their research problems
- Stipends for research programmes
- An entrance scholarship ranging from HKD 20,000 to HKD 70,000
# For JUPAS students with a total score of 35 or above in their best 5 HKDSE subjects (Category A subjects and M1/M2). Scholarship for Non-JUPAS students are considered on a case-by-case basis.
YSS was launched in 2016-17. There are currently 103 participants in the scheme.
JUPAS students admitted to 6901 BSc programme with a total score of 35 or above in their best 5 HKDSE subjects (Category A subjects and M1/M2) are automatically accepted to YSS. Selected Non-JUPAS students (local and overseas) will also be invited to enroll in YSS.
No interview is needed for JUPAS students.
Yes, students who were not admitted to YSS on entry but show excellent talent afterwards would still have a second chance to enroll in YSS. Details to be annonced.
Students not admitted to YSS could still compete for the SRF, ORF and/or international exchange during their study.
No, we only count your best 5 HKDSE subjects among all Category A subjects you take, including M1/M2 of Mathematics.
Total score in the best 5 subjects
(Category A subjects and M1/ M2)
|Score = 42.5||$70,000|
|Score ≥ 41||$60,000|
|Score ≥ 39||$50,000|
|Score ≥ 37||$40,000|
|Score ≥ 35||$20,000|
|The HKDSE `level to score' scale|
Category A: Core and Elective Subjects and Extended Module 1 or Module 2 of Mathematics
Scholarship for Non-JUPAS students are considered on a case-by-case basis.
YSS participants are guaranteed with ONE chance to study overseas under exchange, visiting or summer study programmes. They are given higher priorities to study at top universities*, examples are as follows:
* List of universities may be subject to change.