Dr. WONG, Louis Ngai Yuen
Associate Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Faculty of Science, HKU
- Room 306, James Lee Science building, The University of Hong Kong
Teaching areas :
- Engineering geology
- rock mechanics
- underground engineering
- Engineering geology
- Cracking processes in rocks
- Tunneling and cavern construction
- Wong, L.N.Y.*, Lai, V.S.K. and Tam, T.P.Y. (2018) “Joint spacing distribution of granites in Hong Kong”, Engineering Geology, 245, 120-129.
- Cheng, Y. and Wong, L.N.Y.* (2018) “Microscopic characterization of tensile and shear fracturing in progressive failure in marble”, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth., 123(1), 204-225. DOI: 10.1002/2017JB014581
- Zhang, Y. and Wong, L.N.Y.* (2018) “A review of numerical techniques approaching microstructures of crystalline rocks”, Computers & Geosciences, 115, 167-187.
- Peng, J., Wong, L.N.Y.* and Teh, C.I. (2017) “Influence of grain size heterogeneity on strength and micro-cracking behavior of crystalline rocks”, Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth., 122(2), pp 1054-1073, doi: 10.1002/2016JB013469
- Li, Z., Wong, L.N.Y.* and Teh, C.I. (2017) “Low cost colorimetry for assessment of fire damage in rock”, Engineering Geology, 228, pp 50-60.
Awards and Honors
- Youth Scholar Outstanding Paper Presentation Award – “High temperature effects on granitic rocks”, 7th International Conference on Mining Science and Technology (ICMST 2015), Xuzhou, China, 26-29 April, 2015.
- Society for Rock Mechanics and Engineering Geology (Singapore) Outstanding Paper Award 2015 - "Experimental Study on the Formation of Faults from En-echelon Fractures in Carrara Marble", Co-authored with PhD student Yi CHENG.
- Richard Wolters’ Prize (2014) – Awarded by the International Association of Engineering Geology and Environment (IAEG) once every two years to recognise the meritorious scientific achievement by a younger member of the engineering geology profession below the age of 40.
- Scholarship for 8th Asian Rock Mechanics Symposium (2014) - Awarded to young researchers below the age of 40 years old.
- Geoshanghai Prize for Best Paper (2014) - "Study of mechanical properties and fracturing processes of Carrara marble in dynamic Brazilian tests by two optical observation methods" in GeoShanghai International Conference 2014, Shanghai, China, May 26-28 2014. Co-authored with PhD student Chunjiang ZOU.
- Nanyang Education Award (2013) - Annual award to only one faculty member in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at NTU based on both student and peer reviews of teaching, which recognizes the quality in preparation and organization, specialist knowledge, enthusiasm for the course, delivery and effectiveness.
- Croucher Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship, Hong Kong (2007-2008)
- Kenneth N. Weaver Student Travel Award from the Northeastern Section of the GSA (2006)
- Roy J. Shlemon Meeting Award from the Engineering Geology Division of the GSA (2006)
- MIT Presidential Fellowship (2002)
- Croucher Foundation Scholarship, Hong Kong (2002-2006)
- Sir Edward Youde Memorial Fellowship for Overseas Studies, Hong Kong (2002-2005)
- Best Report for the Engineering Geology HK2000 Conference (2000)
- Recipient of Dean’s Honors, Faculty of Science, University of Hong Kong (1997, 1998, 1999)
- Stephen Kam Chuen Cheung Memorial Scholarship, Hong Kong (1996-1999): awarded for the top students studying science, engineering and management in Hong Kong.