Professor JIAO, Jimmy Jiujiu
Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Faculty of Science, HKU
- 2857 8246
- Room 302, James Lee Science building, The University of Hong Kong
- Engineering Geology
- Soil and Rock Mechanics
- Advanced Hydrogeology
- Coastal hydrogeology
- Groundwater and landslides
- Groundwater in weathered igneous rocks
- Impact of human activities on regional groundwater regimes
- Contaminant fate and transport modeling in aquifers
- Jiao, JJ; Y Wang, Y, JA Cherry, XS Wang, BF Zhi, HY Du, DG Wen, 2010, Abnormally high ammonium of natural origin in a coastal aquifer-aquitard system in the Pearl River Delta, China, Environmental Science & Technology, 44, 7470-7475
- Jiao, JJ and HP Guo, 2009, Airflow induced by pumping tests in unconfined aquifer with a low-permeability cap, Water Resources Research, V 45, W10445, doi:10.1029/2009WR007760
- Jiao, JJ, XS Wang, and S. Nandy, 2005, Confined groundwater zone and slope instability in weathered igneous rocks in Hong Kong, Engineering Geology, v80, p71-92
- Jiao JJ & HL Li, 2004, Breathing of coastal vadose zone induced by sea level fluctuations, Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 31, No. 13 L11502 10.1029/2004GL019572.
- Jiao, J. J. and Z. Tang, An analytical solution of groundwater response to tidal fluctuation in a leaky confined aquifer, Water Resources Research, 35(3), 1999, p747-751.
Awards and Honors
- 2011, Recipient of the John Hem Excellence in Science and Engineering Award (for outstanding scientific or engineering contributions to the understanding of ground water), National Ground Water Association (NGWA).
- Elected: Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, December 2011
- 2008, Expert advisor on coastal land reclamation, Water Resources Directorate, Bahrain
- 2006- present, Member of Network of Energy Advisors, Linx Research, NY, USA
- 2004 – present, Abroad Advisor of Arab Healthy Water Association
- Publication selected as an “AGU Journal Highlight” in Geophysical Research Letters, June, 2004 and reported by English media including CNN, ABC, MSNBC and media of other languages such as French, Italian, Spanish and Vietnamese
- Elected: Fellow, Geological Society of America, May 2003
- 2001– 2002, Board of Directors, American Society of Civil Engineers, Hong Kong Section.
- 2001-present, Visiting Professor, Chengdu University of Technology, China
- 2000-present, Visiting Professor, China University of Geosciences (Beijing)
- 2000-present, Visiting Professor, China University of Geosciences (Wuhan)
- 2000-present, Visiting Research Scientist, Engineering Geomechanics Laboratory, Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Elected: Fellow, Geological Society of London, May 1999