1977 BSc graduate
“Do your best, and God will do the rest!”
- Chair Professor and Kintoy Professor in Mathematics Education, The University of Hong Kong
- Distinguished Visiting Professor and Academic Adviser of Collaborative Innovation Centre of Assessment toward Basic Education Quality, Beijing Normal University, China
Changjiang Scholar of Ministry of Education, China
Distinguished Visiting Professor of Southwest University, China
- State High-End Project Foreign Expert of The State Administration of Foreign Experts Affairs, China
- Honorary Member of the International Association for the Evaluation of Educational Achievement (IEA) (2019)
- Member of the Standing Committee, International Association for the Evaluation of Academic Achievement (IEA) (2007 – 2010)
- Member at Large of the Executive Committee, International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI) (2003 – 2009)
- Hans Freudenthal Medallist 2013
- Consultant of World Bank (Project BERMUTU (Better Employment and Redeployment Management and Universal Teacher Upgrading) on Teacher Education in Indonesia) (2006 – 2012)
- Consultant of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP Project CPR/96/401/B/01/99) on Improving 9-Year Compulsory Education in Poor Areas Focusing on Girl Students in China (2000)
Professor Frederick Koon-Shing LEUNG’s major research interests are in the comparison of mathematics education in different countries, and in the influence of different cultures on teaching and learning. He is principal investigator of a number of major research projects in mathematics education, one of the editors for the Second and Third International Handbooks on Mathematics Education published by Springer, and editorial board member of a number of major journals.
Professor LEUNG is also heavily involved in the local education community, sitting on different government policy advisory committees, and chairing a major School Sponsoring Body. He was appointed a Senior Fulbright Scholar in 2003, and was conferred the Faculty Outstanding Researcher Award in 2006 and Outstanding Research Student Supervisor Award in 2008. Professor LEUNG was the recipient of the Hans Freudenthal Medal for 2013, and was named a Changjiang Scholar by the China Ministry of Education in 2014. He received the World Outstanding Chinese Award in 2015, and was awarded a Bronze Bauhinia Star (BBS) by the HKSAR Government in 2017 for his “great and long-time contributions to and achievements in Mathematics Education”.