- The multi-chamber UHV system consisting of MBE, STM, UPS, and LEED facilities, low-temperature (4K) STM;
- Pulsed laser deposition system, RF sputtering system and electron beam evaporator;
- Home-built micro-optics system for photoluminescence and Raman spectroscopy and pump-probe spectroscopic system;
- Home-assembled large ultra-precise magneto-photoluminescence system;
- Comprehensive semiconductor parameter analysing system;
- Scanning electron microscope with E-beam lithography function;
- Superconducting magnet, 9T w closed cycled cooling system; and
- IBM Computer Cluster 1 master + 12 slave blade, and workstations.
We make our facilities open to other researchers in Hong Kong, and provide services to academic and industrial requests. We also contribute to international facilities, including the software development for muon reconstruction and testing TDS electronic chips for the New Small Wheel of the muon detector at LHC ATLAS, and construction of gamma-ray detector array and charged particle detector array for detection systems at RIKEN, Japan.
In addition to our in-house facilities, our staff regularly access major facilities overseas enhancing collaborative research, for examples:
- ATLAS detector;
- Radioactive Isotope Beam Factory at RIKEN;
- National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory at Michigan State University;
- Monoenergetic positron beam and SQUID in Helmholtz Zentrum Dresden Rossendorf;
- Rutherford backscattering spectroscopy and ion implantation at Oslo University, and
- Observational times of world-wide large telescopes and satellites, e.g., VLA; ATCA; SubMillimeter Array; Hubble Space telescope, Herschel space telescope; XMM Newton X-ray telescope; Chandra X-ray telescope; Nuclear Spectroscopic X-ray Telescope Array; Fermi gamma-ray telescope; China’s Dark Matter Particle Explorer etc.
For more details about the facilities in the Division, please click here.